You are here : Gaume Country On your own... Mysterious places – surprising yourself Chapelle, Ermitage et chemin de croix Notre-Dame de Wachet

Chapel, hermitage and pathway to the cross of Notre Dame de Wachet

Coordinates

Saint-Léger (Saint-Léger)
  • img_0
  • img_1
  • img_2
The Wachet hermitage was first mentioned in 1559, the chapel itself was built before 1678. Claude de Habaru was the first known hermit, who then moved to the hermitage at Bonlieu in 1660. The last hermit was accommodated on 22 November 1782. He was Brother Macarius, or Jean Nicolas Lightfous, from Barnich. The appointment of Wachet hermits came under the community of residents of Saint-Léger, until Joseph II banned hermitages on 2 July 1783. The hermits depended on the priest or rural dean, and their natural visitors. On 12 July 1779, the relics from the holy cross, Sainte-Croix, and those from Saint Donat, were transferred to the chapel. On 4 December 1779, Brother Dominic made a gift of the relics of Saint André. In 1793, a guard chapel looked over the building providing lodgings. On the 9th day of the 5th month, in year 9 of the revolutionary calendar, the estate brought down twenty-three different owners. It was only in 1838 that restoration on the chapel began. The first path to the cross was blessed in 1842. Around 1900, the path to the cross was replaced by fourteen dressed stone stations of the cross that we know today. They consist of a quadrangular base, a pillar and engaged column crowned by an alcove. Each station was offered by a family from the village. Listed status classification is ongoing. In 1944, the hermit’s lodgings were transformed into the sacristy. The roof and bell tower were renovated in 1952. On the west face of the chapel is a statue of Christ on the cross from the 18th century in multi-coloured wood. The church windows are a recent addition and represent Our Lady of Beauraing, a picture of Mary cradling the body of Jesus, a statue of the Virgin and a depiction of her life. On 15 August, an outdoor altar is installed close to the chapel for the annual procession.
Source: Guide des Églises et Abbayes (Guide to churches and abbeys)